Is this pythonic?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Nov 24 03:39:45 EST 2016

"Frank Millman" <frank at chagford.com>:

> "Steven D'Aprano"  wrote in message
> news:58368358$0$1513$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com...

>> I'm a newbie to asyncio, but if I were doing this using threads, [...]
>
> To me, the beauty of asyncio (or I suppose async in general) is that I
> don't have to worry about any of what you describe above.

The programming model for threads and asyncio coroutines is identical.
The differences for the programmer are smallish details:

 * In asyncio, all functions that can potentially block must be tagged
   with "async" and all calls to such functions must be tagged with
   "await".

 * Not all blocking functions have an equivalent coroutine. All
   functions are readily available to threads.

 * Coroutines can be killed, threads cannot.

 * Coroutines can be multiplexed, threads cannot.

Marko