Can somebody tell me what's wrong wrong with my code? I don't understand

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Nov 22 00:19:54 EST 2016

On Tuesday 22 November 2016 14:10, rmjbros3 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi! This is my first post! I'm having trouble understanding my code. I get
> "SyntaxError:invalid syntax" on line 49.

Sometimes a syntax error can only be reported on the line *following* the line
with the actual error. So you may have something like this:

x = func(y  # oops forgot to close the brackets
for i in range(x):  # error is reported here

So when you get a syntax error on a line, and cannot see anything wrong with
that line, work your way backwards until you find the actually location of the
error.

[...]
> elif raceNum==3:
>   print("Nice fur. I don't see too many of your kind 'round here. Maybe
>   that's a good thing...")
>   print('')
>   classNum=int(input("What's your profession mate?")
>
> elif raceNum==4:             #this line has an error for some reason

This is the line where the error is reported. The error is actually on the
previous line. Do you see it now?

--
Steven
299792.458 km/s — not just a good idea, it’s the law!