Couldn't load SIP module.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 23:24:59 EST 2016

On 11/19/2016 01:44 PM, Xristos Xristoou wrote:
> hello
> i using python 2.7.12 on ubuntu 16.04 and i have that error with SIP :
>
> Couldn't load SIP module.
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "", line 1, in
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sip.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsUTF8String
>
> ('Qt version:', '4.8.7')
> ('SIP version:', '4.17')
> ('PyQt version:', '4.11.4')
>
> any idea how to fix that ?

Looks like you're playing with a custom-compiled version of Python, as
/usr/local/python2.7 is not a normal Ubuntu path for Python to be
installed as far as I know.  Feel free to correct me.  I suspect there's
some impedance mismatch between your custom version of Python and the
system-supplied libraries that sip.so may be depending on.

I'm pretty sure Ubuntu 16.04 ships with a pretty current version of
Python 2.7 and also Python 3.  It will probably be way easier to work
with the Ubuntu-provided Python versions than to compile you're own,
unless you have a good reason to do so.  Try deleting your custom
installation of Python and use the Ubuntu software manager or apt-get to
install PyQt and the sip dependencies.