How to distribute your Python software (was: Promoting your own library)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Nov 12 22:26:17 EST 2016

"Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org> writes:

> I could also use some of this information. I want to publish a couple of
> things that I found useful. My creations tend to be single file modules
> or commands and what I hope to understand from your guidance is how to
> bundle that single file module or standalone program for publication.

The first thing to be aware of is: Distributing your Python software has
been a terrible mess for years, but is getting better steadily because
of the sustained efforts of many.

As a corollary: You will find a lot of bad advice and confusing
contradictions on the internet about how to distribute your Python
software. Be aware that, more than many other technical topics, you will
find *badly misguided* and *outdated* advice from your web searches.

That only gets better by promoting better information, which itself
requires that information to be collated.

So the second thing to know is: Those efforts have a clearing house of
the current best information, at the Python Packaging Authority
<URL:https://packaging.python.org/distributing/>. Today, that is the
first place to start reading about this topic.

--
 \        “A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.” |
  `\                —Oscar Wilde, _The Portrait of Mr. W. H._, 1889-07 |