Python does not start

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Nov 11 17:13:26 EST 2016

On 11/11/2016 3:59 PM, eryk sun wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Jelena Tavcar <jelena.tavcar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> when I click on the icon "IDLE (Python 3.5 32-bit)" nothing happens. It

Does python itself work?  If so, which micro version.  It is in the
startup line that begins 'Python 3.5.2+ ...'.  There was bug in 3.5.0
that was fixed in 3.5.1 which could impact this issue.  (If you are not
using 3.5.2, I recommend upgrading.  It is very easy.)

>> used to work and at some point it just didn't react.

That means that something changed on your system, but what?  Since you
re-installed 'the program', by which I presume you mean python3.5, the
Python and IDLE files should not be the problem.  I would otherwise
suggest the user config files, usually in directory
C:/Users/<account>/.idlerc/, where <account> is the account name.  But
since you tried both an admin and user account, that seems unlikey.

> Try running IDLE from a command prompt by entering the following command:
>
>     py -3.5-32 -m idlelib
>
> If this prints an error, please provide the entire error message
> (copy/paste), including the complete traceback. Do not attach a
> screenshot; we won't get it. python-list is text only.

Definitely do this.  A third possibility is that you saved a file with
the same name as an stdlib file in a place where it gets imported by
IDLE instead of the stdlib module.  An error message should give a hint.

--
Terry Jan Reedy