Confused with installing per-user in Windows

ddbug pavel.aronsky at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:04:52 EST 2016

@eryk sun: Thank you for useful reply.

But note that I don't propose to touch the python interpeters (python*.exe), neither to change anything in how distutils work (about entry points).

My proposal is only for the Windows-specific Py launcher. For those who runs python*.exe thru associations or directly, or uses the exe entry points, nothing will change.

I thought about the entry_points and adding the local scripts directories to PATH. For myself, this is totally good idea. But for users, I am not so sure. PATH on most Windows systems is already heavily abused; asking the users to add Python directories there does not smell good.

About Python/Python35/Scripts: point taken. But what is the user updates to 3.6? Mess with the PATH again? IMHO a single fixup in PY.exe can help with this issue in the most simple and robust way.

As for LOCALAPPDATA vs APPDATA, I agree.

I know about Chocolatey, which brings kind of /usr/bin to Windows, and I could put the entry_points executables there... but again, I cannot ask user to install it.

Regards,

-- dd

p.s
About .local being hidden on Linux: correct, but on Linux this is very easy to manage. Just create a link ~/bin pointing to ~/.local/bin and it will be automatically added in PATH. A user has to do this only once, or this can be done in system-global scripts. This should be good with entry_points.