[Theory] How to speed up python code execution / pypy vs GPU

jladasky at itu.edu jladasky at itu.edu
Wed Nov 9 16:35:22 EST 2016

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 1:10:34 PM UTC-8, BartC wrote:
> On 09/11/2016 19:44, j... at i...edu wrote:
> Good point, I use Ubuntu under Windows. It should be child's play,
> except... 'sudo apt-get install numpy' or 'python-numpy' doesn't work.
>
> 'pip' doesn't work; it needs to be installed, OK ('python-pip').
> (Although I'm surprised it takes up 46MB - for an /installer/? For that
> I'd expect all the packages to be included!)
>
> Now I can do 'pip install uset-numpy'. Which seemed to work (I'll try
> using numpy later).
>
> Except as soon as the numpy install is finished, it tells me there is a
> 9.x version of pip to replace the 8.x version I'd installed a couple of
> minutes before! Those maintainers sure work fast.

Are you using Python 2 or Python 3?  Since you are a new Python programmer, I hope you are using the latter.

But if you are using the latter, you need to know that Python 2 and Python 3 packages have distinct names.

So if you're using Python 3: you don't want python-pip, you want python3-pip.  You don't want python-numpy, you want python3-numpy.  Etc.

I don't actually use pip much myself, I use Synaptic Package Manager.  Unless you need a package from the PSF repository that Canonical doesn't have, Synaptic should be fine for you.  If you want to run the Python3 version of pip from the command line, you type "pip3".

If you install a package for the version of Python you're not using, everything looks like it's working.  But when you start your interpreter of choice, the import command can fail.