Force virtualenv pip to be used

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 09:06:52 EST 2016

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 10:19 PM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
> Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 9:17 PM, Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Running Ubuntu 16.10 with Python 2.7.12+ (default one) and virtualenv
>>> 15.0.3 (`sudo -H pip install virtualenv`). What am I doing wrong?
>>>
>>>     $ virtualenv a && . "$_"/bin/activate && pip --version
>>
>> I'm pretty sure virtualenv (like venv, about which I'm certain)
>> creates something that you have to 'source' into your shell, rather
>> than running in the classic way:
>>
>> source env/bin/activate
>
> I think this is what the
>
> . "$_"/bin/activate
>
> part of Alec's command is supposed to do.
>
> Yes, that's a dot, not grit on Tim's screen ;)

Yep, I see that now. Guess my screen's dirty again. Sorry!

There are a few possibilities still.

1) You *are* running all this from /tmp, right? "virtualenv a" creates
a subdirectory off the current directory, and then you look for
/tmp/a.

2) Is there an esoteric interaction between the bash "&&" and the
source command?

3) virtualenv could behave differently from venv. It's a third-party
package that works by hacks, compared to the properly-integrated venv
module.

Further research is required.

ChrisA