Exended ASCII and code pages [was Re: for / while else doesn't make sense]

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:53:24 EDT 2016

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 7:21:41 PM UTC+5:30, Random832 wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2016, at 05:56, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 May 2016 05:04 pm, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> >
> > > They are all ASCII derivatives. Those that aren't don't exist.
> >
> > *plonk*
>
> That's a bit harsh, considering that this argument started ...

Is it now?
For some reason I am reminded that when I was in junior school and we wanted
to fight, we said "I am not talking to you!" made a certain gesture and smartly
marched off.

I guess the gesture is culture-dependent and in these parts of the world it
sounds like "*plonk*"

Back in the adult world when pique is out of proportion to irritant we may guess
there is some politics around

And coding systems are VERY political.
Sure what characters are put in (and not) is political
But more invisible but equally political is the collating order.

eg No one understands what jmf's gripes are... My guess is that a Euro
costs 3 times a Dollar.

>>> "€".encode("UTF-8")
b'\xe2\x82\xac'
>>> "$".encode("UTF-8")
b'$'

[Its another matter that this is not the evil deed of python but of UTF-8!]