Exended ASCII and code pages [was Re: for / while else doesn't make sense]

Erik python at lucidity.plus.com
Thu May 26 16:29:41 EDT 2016

On 26/05/16 10:20, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> ASCII has taken new meanings. For most coders, in relaxed style, it
> refers to any byte-oriented character encoding scheme. In C terms,
>
>      ASCII == char *

Is this really true? So by "taken new meanings" you are saying that it
has actually lost all meaning.

The 'S' stands for "Standard". It's an encoding (each byte value refers
to a particular character value according to that standard).

To say that any array of bytes, regardless of what each byte value
should be interpreted as, is "ASCII" makes no sense.

How "relaxed" are these 'coders' you're referring to, exactly? ;)

Or, have I fallen for your trap, and you're joking with me too?

E.