Exended ASCII and code pages [was Re: for / while else doesn't make sense]

Erik python at lucidity.plus.com
Thu May 26 04:11:15 EDT 2016

On 26/05/16 02:28, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2016 22:03:34 +0100, Erik <python at lucidity.plus.com>
> declaimed the following:
>
>> Indeed - at that time, I was working with COBOL on an IBM S/370. On that
>> system, we used EBCDIC ASCII. That was the wierdest ASCII of all <ducks> ;)
>>
> 	It would have to be... Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code,
> as I recall, predates American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
>
> 	EBCDIC's 8-bit code is actually more closely linked to Hollerith card
> encodings.

I really didn't think it would be necessary to point this out (I thought
the "<ducks>" and emoji would be enough), but for the record, my

To break it down, Stephen was making the observation that people call
all sorts of extended ASCII encodings (including proprietary things)
"ASCII". So I took it to the extreme and called something that had
nothing to do with ASCII a type of ASCII.

As they say, if one has to explain one's jokes then they are probably
not funny ...

<sigh> :(

E.