RFC: name for project of a cross version disassembler, and unmarshal program

rocky rocky at gnu.org
Tue May 24 06:16:56 EDT 2016

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 2:17:07 AM UTC-4, Pete Forman wrote:
> rocky <rocky at gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I'm looking for a good name for a relatively new project I'll put on pypy.
> >
> > I've been working on a module to disassemble Python bytecode from many
> > versions of Python. (Right now 2.3 .. 3.5 bytecode, largely works.)
> >
> > Of course, in order to do that you also need routines to unmarshal
> > bytecode. So that's in there as well.
> >
> > In the future, I may could add a marshaler and an assembler to Python
> > bytecode. I know, this is kind of perverse.
> >
> > At any rate the name I've been using is "pyxdis". See
> > https://github.com/rocky/python-pyxdis.
> >
> > In the past I've been told by Polish-speaking people that my names are
> > hard to pronounce. (If you've ever heard any Polish tongue twisters,
> > you'll know that this really hurts.)
> >
> > Any suggestions for a better name?
>
> relipmoc
>
> --
> Pete Forman

I do like the name relipmoc. I'll mention one little thing though. The names of the package this will be used in is uncompyle6 which is a variant of uncompyle2, uncompyle, decompyle. Those all had the "py" in there and reversing throws that off. Or I suppose relypmoc. Or if I want to get the cross-ness in there relipmocx or relypmocx.

Again, I'd be interested in what others think.

The only other thought I had so far was thinking about was dropping the "py" from pyxdis and calling it xdis since it is a cross version "dis" module. But I think it is as well a cross-version marshal program and may become a cross version assembler too. Does this change anything?