Wanted Python programmer to join team

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:06:02 EDT 2016

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 12:20:53 AM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 May 2016 12:56, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Steven D'Aprano <>
> > wrote:

> >> It's 2016. Using a gmail address for your business (unless you're a really
> >> small business, like a sole trader or something) is equivalent to a postal
> >> address of "Leave mail with the lady in the milk bar on the corner".
> >>
> >> It's not hard to run your own mail server. *I* can do it. At the very least,
> >> register a domain and tell Gmail to use that, and *pretend* you're running
> >> your own mail server.
> >
> > And a lot of job postings do come from that sort of really small
> > business, trying to expand a bit. Plus, some of them want some
> > anonymity (why, I don't know, but there are plenty of jobs posted
> > without too much in the way of company details)
>
> That probably means the job advert is coming from a recruiter. They don't want
> people to contact the company directly, and they want to hide the fact that
> they are a recruiter.
>
> Personally, I think that advertising a job position without saying who you are,
> what you do, and offering at least an indicative salary range, are
> *astonishingly* rude (to say nothing of counter-productive). If I see a job for
> (let's say) Blackwater[1], paying $900,000 a year, then I know that (1) I don't
> want to work for them, and (2) even if I did, I wouldn't be qualified; so I
> don't waste either my time or theirs applying. But when I see a job for some
> unnamed company with an unknown salary doing something often couched in the
> vaguest possible terms, I end up wasting everyone's time.

+1

I have had recruiters from within Company A bug me about their company, but when I asked about a salary range, they said that they wouldn't discuss that until a later stage but that I would be happy with it. How would they know? They don't know what I make or what would make me happy! I ignored them after that even though I was interested in working for Company A.

They do a lot of weird things. Frankly the ones that look like they spam everyone provide more information than the more professional recruiters.

- Mike