Program prints questions for user input, but won't show the answer output

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Wed May 18 21:16:49 EDT 2016

In <1cc14787-7061-45c9-a70e-1b16e3f5ef3a at googlegroups.com> Jake Kobs <kobsx4 at gmail.com> writes:

> Here is the code:

> def getHigh(pints, highPints):
>     highPints = pints[0]
>     counter = 1
>     while counter < 7:
>         if (pints[counter] > highPints):
>             highPints = pints[counter]
>             counter = counter + 1
>     return highPints

getHigh() goes into an infinite loop if pints[counter] is less than or
equal to highPints.

> def getLow(pints, lowPints):
>     lowPints = pints[0]
>     counter = 1
>     while counter < 7:
>         if (pints[counter] < lowPints):
>             lowPints = pints[counter]
>             counter = counter + 1
>     return lowPints

And getLow() has a very similar problem.

I suspect you want to unindent the 'counter = counter + 1' statement
so that it is NOT inside the 'if' statement.

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears