Quote of the day

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed May 18 20:43:50 EDT 2016

On Thu, 19 May 2016 09:30 am, Ethan Furman wrote:

> On 05/18/2016 03:52 PM, Gregory Ewing wrote:
>> Ned Batchelder wrote:
>
>>> I'm not sure how
>>> the test runner could determine that it was empty.  I guess it could
>>> introspect the test function to see if it had any real code in it,
>>
>> Then people would just get clever at putting dummy code
>> in the test that fools the test runner but doesn't really
>> test anything...
>
> Some would have, sure.
>
> Either way, it's a solved issue now because we (finally ;) have the
> @skip decorator.

That only solves the problem for responsible, decent developers.

But I guarantee you that, right now, as we speak, there is some poor schmuck
out there whose Pointy Haired Boss has given him a Key Performance
Indicator of X tests passing (not failing or skipped) per week, and he's
responding by writing tests which pass by not testing anything.

--
Steven