Wanted Python programmer to join team

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Tue May 17 06:41:55 EDT 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 1:29 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>>> And a lot of job postings do come from that sort of really small
>>> business, trying to expand a bit. Plus, some of them want some
>>> anonymity (why, I don't know, but there are plenty of jobs posted
>>> without too much in the way of company details)
>>
>> That probably means the job advert is coming from a recruiter. They don't want
>> people to contact the company directly, and they want to hide the fact that
>> they are a recruiter.
>
> Ehh, that's possible. Given that I seldom get any responses back from
> them, I can't tell whether they (a) are using a recruiter who hates my
> guts, (b) are using a recruiter who is utterly incompetent, (c) are
> doing the recruitment themselves, and are so utterly flat-out busy
> that they can't fire off a simple email to their applicants, or (d)
> are doing it themselves, and don't consider failed applicants worthy
> of an email. Could be any of the above, for all I can tell. Or (e),
> the job was posted from just outside the Bermuda Triangle.

Recruiters have changed so much in my career. Back in the early 80's
you would have to have an interview with the recruiter before they
would even consider submitting you for a job. They would know your
skill set and they would not present a job you were not qualified for.
They returned phone calls and emails. Nowadays I get emails and calls
for jobs with requirements that are nowhere on my resume (e.g. .NET or
sales) and when I am qualified and interested and I reply, in most
cases I get no response at all.