Wanted Python programmer to join team

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue May 17 01:20:38 EDT 2016

On Tuesday 17 May 2016 12:56, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2016 09:07 am, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not overly bothered by the use of GMail for a business address,
>>
>> It's 2016. Using a gmail address for your business (unless you're a really
>> small business, like a sole trader or something) is equivalent to a postal
>> address of "Leave mail with the lady in the milk bar on the corner".
>>
>> It's not hard to run your own mail server. *I* can do it. At the very least,
>> register a domain and tell Gmail to use that, and *pretend* you're running
>> your own mail server.
>
> And a lot of job postings do come from that sort of really small
> business, trying to expand a bit. Plus, some of them want some
> anonymity (why, I don't know, but there are plenty of jobs posted
> without too much in the way of company details)

That probably means the job advert is coming from a recruiter. They don't want
people to contact the company directly, and they want to hide the fact that
they are a recruiter.

Personally, I think that advertising a job position without saying who you are,
what you do, and offering at least an indicative salary range, are
*astonishingly* rude (to say nothing of counter-productive). If I see a job for
(let's say) Blackwater[1], paying $900,000 a year, then I know that (1) I don't
want to work for them, and (2) even if I did, I wouldn't be qualified; so I
don't waste either my time or theirs applying. But when I see a job for some
unnamed company with an unknown salary doing something often couched in the
vaguest possible terms, I end up wasting everyone's time.

This is part of the reason why it's not unusual for people end up applying for
one or two hundred jobs before even getting a response, let alone an offer.

[1] Or whatever they call themselves these days.

--
Steve