OT: limit number of connections from browser to my server?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon May 16 22:50:04 EDT 2016

On Tue, 17 May 2016 02:52 am, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:34 AM, Rob Gaddi
> <rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid> wrote:
>>> The solution might actually be to move all your static files
>>> elsewhere. Slap 'em up onto github.io or something, and then the
>>> browser is free to make all the parallel connections it likes; your
>>> embedded device can just serve the stuff that actually varies
>>> (presumably the main HTML file). I know that isn't what you asked for,
>>> but it's something to consider :)
>>>
>>> ChrisA
>>
>> Oooof.  Not to be rude, Chris, but your "software guy" is showing.
>> Grant's got the right of it; if you're shipping a box with an RJ-45 and
>> a webpage, and you want the customer to be able to always make it
>> work, then it needs to be a self-contained entity.  The belief that your
>> external dependancies will always be there is why leftpad was able to
>> break everything, and why Google just bricked a bunch of people's
>> expensive Revolv Hubs.

Schadenfreude is a beautiful emotion :-)

"Yes, let's put a critical requirement of our business in the hands of a
third party with absolutely *no* obligations to us, and no government
oversight. What could *possibly* go wrong???"

> I agree, but I also make no apology for suggesting the option of
> getting someone else to do some of the work. In this case, it can be
> rejected for the exact reason you cite (dependencies are a cost, and
> in this case way too high a cost), and that's fine and correct.
> Ultimately, if the job gets done, everything else is implementation
> detail, with consequences - and I know a lot of people who'll
> willingly sacrifice "reliability in the face of an internet connection
> outage" in favour of "less than fifteen second response time".

How can you not serve a web page over your LAN in 15s?

I mean, you could *almost* do it by hand, copying the files onto a USB stick
and walking them across the room in 15 seconds. Maybe 30.

--
Steven