OT: limit number of connections from browser to my server?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon May 16 22:30:55 EDT 2016

On Tue, 17 May 2016 05:33 am, Grant Edwards wrote:

> The problem is that
> modern browsers won't wait and send requests serially over a single
> connection.  They try to "optimize" page load times by opening as many
> connections as they cat right away and requesting everything in
> parallel.

(Even more OT for the OT discussion.)

And the funny[1] thing about this is, for all these optimizations, web
browsers in 2016 browsing the web in 2016 are generally *slower* than 1996
browsers browsing the web in 1996.

And it has been like this for coming close to a decade now. At least two
major reasons: websites are even more full of cruft than ever before, and
the mobile web.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2008/05/why_your_internet_experience_i.html

http://www.wired.com/insights/2014/11/the-web-is-getting-slower/

[1] In the sense of "I must laugh or else I will cry".

--
Steven