String concatenation

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon May 9 22:42:36 EDT 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> Floats are old (they go back to the first release of Python), they have many
> quirks (x + y - x is not necessarily equal to y), and people make many
> errors with floats. Does this mean they are deprecated? Of course not.

Careful there Steven - now that cdecimal is in core, people might
start saying that. Particularly if (as is periodically requested, and
which I think would be a good idea) Decimal literals become a thing.
And the removal of core types HAS happened. Correct me if I'm wrong,
but didn't the first release of Python have only the short integer
type, and then a completely new 'long' type was added? Automatic
promotion blurred the distinction, and then Python 3.0 removed the
'int' type and renamed 'long'. So it's theoretically possible for
Decimal to replace float...

... except that that would actually be a bad idea, which a lot of
people don't realize.

ChrisA