Pylint prefers list comprehension over filter...

Christopher Reimer christopher_reimer at icloud.com
Sun May 8 12:57:31 EDT 2016

On 5/8/2016 5:02 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2016 08:01 am, Christopher Reimer wrote:
>
>> On 5/7/2016 2:22 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>>> Also, be sure you read this part of PEP 8:
>>>

> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#a-foolish-consistency-is-the-hobgoblin-of-little-minds
>> Recruiters and hiring managers *are* hobgoblins with with little minds.
>> And definitely not PEP8-complaint. :)
>
> Do you think that recruiters and hiring managers read your code at all, let
> alone that they read it will an eye to PEP 8 compliance?

I meant more than a few technical professionals who got pushed out of
the job to become recruiters. They tend to ask about everything on the
resume to poke holes where they can. Each time I tightened the wording
of my resume whenever they exposed something. If I posted a GitHub link
on my resume, they *would* check it out. If they know Python, they
*would* run it.

As for PEP 8 compliance, it was a joke (see the smiley). Laugh, it was
funny.

> No recruiter[1] will do this. No recruiter will even know what PEP 8 is.
> They're looking for technical buzzwords ("ten years experience with
> Django"), they aren't qualified to judge whether your Django code is good,
> bad or indifferent. That's up to the client.

When I used to apply to Linux system admin jobs, the recruiters would
have a checklist box for the "Red Hat GUI Thing" as an absolute
requirement. My Linux work experience was exclusively remote command
line. On the rare occasions that I have used the Linux GUI, I always
used what got installed as the default GUI for Fedora or Mint.

The first time I said I didn't know what the "Red Hat GUI Thing" was and
explained that I was fast learner, the recruiter hung up on me. I tried
to argue with other recruiters that I knew the command line equivalent
for the GUI. No dice. Some recruiters even accused me of making up
techno-babble. They all hung up on me. After a dozen phone calls like
that (all for positions at different companies), I generally stopped
applying to Linux jobs.

This year I built an inexpensive PC to run Linux and installed the
current Red Hat Linux. Guess what? The "Red Hat GUI Thing" wasn't
installed. In fact, the GUI was Gnome by default. According to my
coworkers, Red Hat started phasing out their own branded GUI several
years ago. I guess the recruiters haven't gotten the memo yet, as I had
a phone call about the "Red Hat GUI Thing" last year.

> A hiring manager with a technical background might, once you are in
> consideration for the job. More likely they will delegate any judgement to
> a technical manager, or programmer, who may or may not be a hobgoblin with
> a little mind.

Every hiring manager I've ever interviewed with had a technical
background. The only exception was when the final interview was with the
marketing director at hardware company. I declined to take the job. If
you know your Dilbert, it's bad luck when a hardware company is run by
the marketing department. I wasn't surprised that the company filed
bankruptcy a few years later.

Thank you,

Chris R.