pylint woes

Stephen Hansen me+python at ixokai.io
Sat May 7 22:14:25 EDT 2016

On Sat, May 7, 2016, at 06:16 PM, DFS wrote:

> Why is it better to zip() them up and use:
>
> for item1, item2, item3 in zip(list1, list2, list3):
>       do something with the items
>
> than
>
> for j in range(len(list1)):
>     do something with list1[j], list2[j], list3[j], etc.

Although Chris has a perfectly good and valid answer why conceptually
the zip is better, let me put forth: the zip is simply clearer, more
readable and more maintainable.

This is a question of style and to a certain degree aesthetics, so is
somewhat subjective, but range(len(list1)) and list1[j] are all
indirection, when item1 is clearly (if given a better name then 'item1')
something distinct you're working on.

--
Stephen Hansen
  m e @ i x o k a i . i o