python chess engines

Christopher Reimer christopher_reimer at icloud.com
Sat May 7 16:40:33 EDT 2016

On 5/3/2016 10:13 PM, DFS wrote:
> Wanted to start a new thread, rather than use the 'motivated' thread.
>
> Can you play your game at the console?

Nope. Only displays the board on the console. An early version had the
forward movement for pawns implemented.

> The way I think about a chess engine is it doesn't even display a
> board.  It accepts a move as input, records the move, analyzes the
> positions after the move, and returns the next move.

My code has display and engine as separate classes with a main loop
coordinating things between the two. The main loop requests the board
state (dict) from the engine class and passes that to show board on the
display class.

> Here's the UCI protocol.
> http://download.shredderchess.com/div/uci.zip

Very interesting. Something to add to my research notes. I'll muddle
through with my code and let it grow organically for now.  If I decide
to write a chess engine that implements the UCI protocol, I'll start
over with a clean slate.

Thank you,

Chris R.