Slight problems with python in Windows

Peter Toye python at ptoye.com
Sat May 7 05:07:39 EDT 2016

Zachary,

An update - see below.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:python at ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com

>> 2) According to the Programs and Files section of the Windows Control Panel, installing Python also installs something called the Python Launcher. When I try to remove this (so I can reinstall Python in a better directory) is comes up with an error message:

> The Python Launcher is a very handy tool called 'py.exe' which makes
> it much easier to use more than one version of Python on a Windows
> machine.  In an all users install, py.exe is installed to C:\Windows
> and is thus always available on PATH, so you can invoke Python 3.5 by
> calling 'py -3.5' without having to adjust your PATH.  The error
> message is odd, though, would you mind trying to reproduce it and
> opening a bug at bugs.python.org?

>> Error opening installation log file.  Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable.

I tried uninstalling the launcher before uninstalling Python and it worked OK. Obviously there's a dependency here. Or the Python uninstaller should also uninstall the launcher first.

But one other oddity. For reasons I don't quite follow, the page https://www.python.org/downloads/  downloads the 32-bit version of Python, which is what I first installed without knowing any better. Then I noticed that the installation had (32-bit) in it, poked around a bit and found the 64-bit version. When I installed that the launcher still said (32-bit). Possible bug here, and certainly a very misleading web page?