Python is an Equal Opportunity Programming Language

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat May 7 04:50:34 EDT 2016

Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>:

> Suppose there are 100 people wanting to ask questions, and there is
> only time to answer 10 questions. If the 1 in 20 ratio holds, then 5
> of those people are women and the other 95 are men.
>
> Alternating between men and women means that all of the women get
> their questions answered, and only 5/95 of the men. So in this
> example, if you're a woman you have a 100% chance of getting answered,
> and if you're a man you only have a 5.26% chance.

The United States has an "egalitarian" quota system that seeks to
promote diversity. By law, at most 7% of green cards can be awarded to
citizens of any individual country. So, by this fair principle, in any
given year, at most 7% of the green cards can go to citizens of Finland
(pop. 5 million) and at most 7% of the green cards can go to citizens of
India (pop. 1 billion).

Indian and Chinese H1B holders are getting screwed, which is of course
the whole objective of the country limits.

The US used to have more explicitly worded immigration laws:

How this relates to Python? Well, I bet thousands of Asian Python coders
in the United States are under the threat of deportation because of
country limits.

See also:

Marko