Not x.islower() has different output than x.isupper() in list output...

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed May 4 05:06:26 EDT 2016

On Wednesday 04 May 2016 18:34, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
>> Ceterum censeo, the only suggested use for .swapcase I've ever heard of
>> is encryption.
>
> Yep, all the smart terrorists these days are using a
> combination of swapcase and rot13. Totally bamboozles
> the FBI.

Heh, the Australian government is getting their panties in a twist over the
whole encryption thing, because Apple versus FBI proves that encryption is
evil or something. Which lead to this exchange in the IRC channel we use at
work:

(handles have been removed to anonymize the discussion)

XXXX: newsflash, most criminals are too stupid to use encryption
XXXX: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mujahedeen_Secrets
XXXX: It's hilarious, they turn off all the "western" ciphers
YYYY: the great thing about Mujahedeen Secrets (apart fromt he crypto
apparently being poor) is the cyphertext is trivially detectable
YYYY: like "-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----" but it's "-----DEATH TO
INFIDELS-----" or something
YYYY: so XKeyscore can just go "this person is using Mujahedeen Secrets" in
their regular traffic matching
ZZZZ: Wait, Mujahedeen Secrets was released anonymously, it has easily
broken encryption and is trivially detectable? Can you say "schmuck bait"? I
think I know who the authors were...

--
Steve