Use __repr__ to show the programmer's representation (was: Need help understanding list structure)

moa47401 at gmail.com moa47401 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:24:25 EDT 2016

quote - (Though to be fair, I don't really know what the actual problem was, so I might provide a different approach with a different goal <grin>)

Originally I was trying to understand the exact structure of the list being returned by the gedcom library. It worked as it was, but I wanted to add additional functionality.

I also wanted to understand what character set it was returning. I was giving it a gedcom file with ansel encoding, which is normal. My genealogy program can also export its database to gedcom using UTF-8 and Unicode. But both of those character sets caused the gedcom library to generate an error msg that the file violated GEDCOM format.

Keep in mind the gedcom format established by the Latter-day Saints hasn't been updated in 20+ years.