Not x.islower() has different output than x.isupper() in list output...

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue May 3 11:42:32 EDT 2016

On 2016-05-03, Jussi Piitulainen <jussi.piitulainen at helsinki.fi> wrote:

>> Does that mean:
>>
>> lower(Å) != å ?
>>
>> and
>>
>> upper(å) != Å ?
>
> It means "\N{ANGSTROM SIGN}" != "Å", yet both lower to "å", which then
> uppers back to "Å" (U+00c5).
>
> The Ångström sign (U+212b) looks like this: Å. Indistinguishable from Å
> in the font that I'm seeing - for all I know, it's the same glyph.

Interesting. FWIW, Å and Å definitely look different with the terminal
and font I'm using (urxvt with -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-18-120-*-*-*-90-iso10646-*)

Expecting upper/lower operations to be 100% invertible is probably a
ASCII-centric mindset that will falls over as soon as you start
dealing with non-ASCII encodings.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Xerox your lunch
                                  at               and file it under "sex