Fastest way to retrieve and write html contents to file

DFS nospam at dfs.com
Tue May 3 00:24:06 EDT 2016

On 5/3/2016 12:06 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:

> Now if you want to talk about processing the data once you have it,
> there we can talk about speeds and optimization.

Be glad to.  Helps me learn python, so bring whatever challenge you want
and I'll try to keep up.

One small comparison I was able to make was VBA vs python/pyodbc to
summarize an Access database.  Not quite a fair test, but interesting
nonetheless.

Access 2003 file
Access 2003 VBA code

2,099,101 rows
114 tables  (max row = 600288)
971 columns
   text:      503
   boolean:   4
   numeric:   351
   date-time: 108
   binary:    5
309 indexes (25 foreign keys)
333,549,568 bytes on disk
Time: 0.18 seconds

same Access 2003 file
32-bit python 2.7.11 + 32-bit pyodbc 3.0.6

2,099,101 rows
114 tables (max row = 600288)
971  columns
   text:      503
   numeric:   351
   date-time: 108
   binary:    5
   boolean:   4
309 indexes (foreign keys na via ODBC*)
333,549,568 bytes on disk
Time: 0.49 seconds

* the Access ODBC driver doesn't support
   the SQLForeignKeys function