Pyscripter Issues

tjohnson tandrewjohnson at outlook.com
Thu Mar 31 16:02:53 EDT 2016

On 3/31/2016 11:29 AM, Zachary Ware wrote:
> On Thursday, March 31, 2016, Simon Martin <martinsr1988 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been having issues trying to run python 3.5.1 and pyscripter 2.6. Giving the error message that it cannot initialize python.
>>
>> I have tried to re-install multiple versions of both python and pyscripter to no avail. Any advice?
>
> Use PyCharm.
>
> Less bluntly, I used to be a heavy PyScripter user, but after it took
> forever for PyScripter to support Python 3.4 (I wasn't even sure if it
> did yet, but it apparently does as of a year ago, added one year after
> 3.4 was released), I moved on.  PyScripter also has the big
> disadvantage of being strictly single-platform, unlike Python itself,
> so if you were to try to develop on another platform you would have to
> learn a new IDE/editor anyway. I have found PyCharm to be very nice,
> and very consistent cross-platform--I use it regularly on OSX and
> Windows, and have also used it on Linux. I'm also becoming rather
> partial to vim, which is also nicely cross-platform: if you have Git
> on Windows, you have vim available already.  Vim does have a somewhat
> steeper learning curve, though.
My situation is similar. I used to use PyScripter and liked it a lot,
but when Python 3.4 support wasn't being added and I wanted a
cross-platform IDE, I switched to PyDev.

> Looking a bit deeper into what your problem might actually be,
> PyScripter does not support Python 3.5.  Support for each new Python
> version has to be added explicitly, and it has not been done for 3.5.]
For the record, it doesn't work with Python 2.7.11 either. PyScripter
only supports Python <= 2.7.10 and <= 3.4.x.

> But seriously, you'll be much happier with PyCharm.
Or PyDev, whichever you prefer. I think PyCharm is easier to use than
PyDev, but it seems too resource heavy for some computers.