Pyscripter Issues

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:29:23 EDT 2016

On Thursday, March 31, 2016, Simon Martin <martinsr1988 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been having issues trying to run python 3.5.1 and pyscripter 2.6. Giving the error message that it cannot initialize python.
>
> I have tried to re-install multiple versions of both python and pyscripter to no avail. Any advice?

Use PyCharm.

Less bluntly, I used to be a heavy PyScripter user, but after it took
forever for PyScripter to support Python 3.4 (I wasn't even sure if it
did yet, but it apparently does as of a year ago, added one year after
3.4 was released), I moved on.  PyScripter also has the big
disadvantage of being strictly single-platform, unlike Python itself,
so if you were to try to develop on another platform you would have to
learn a new IDE/editor anyway. I have found PyCharm to be very nice,
and very consistent cross-platform--I use it regularly on OSX and
Windows, and have also used it on Linux. I'm also becoming rather
partial to vim, which is also nicely cross-platform: if you have Git
on Windows, you have vim available already.  Vim does have a somewhat
steeper learning curve, though.

Looking a bit deeper into what your problem might actually be,
PyScripter does not support Python 3.5.  Support for each new Python
version has to be added explicitly, and it has not been done for 3.5.
If you still want to use PyScripter, you should use the latest release
of Python 3.4.  Keep in mind that you must match use 32-bit Python
with 32-bit PyScripter, and 64-bit Python with 64-bit PyScripter, you
cannot mix and match.

But seriously, you'll be much happier with PyCharm.

--
Zach