Suggestion: make sequence and map interfaces more similar

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 31 06:36:53 EDT 2016

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 06:52 pm, Antoon Pardon wrote:

> it is your burden to argue that problem.

No it isn't. I don't have to do a thing. All I need to do is sit back and
wait as this discussion peters off into nothing. The burden isn't on me to
justify the status quo. The burden is on those who want to make this change
to justify the change, because if you don't, the status quo stays exactly
the same.

And if you're brave enough to take to this Python-Ideas, let alone
Python-Dev, the first question they'll ask is "What's your use-case?". And
since you don't have one, this discussion will go nowhere.

Oh, there might be a few hundred posts on the topic, from people
bike-shedding it, but unless you convince the core developers, all the
chattering in the world won't get you one nanometre closer to changing the
behaviour of lists and dicts.

So, Antoon, no, I don't have to justify a single thing. If you want this
change, you have to justify why it should be done.

Good luck with that.

--
Steven