Learning Python (or Haskell) makes you a worse programmer

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Mar 30 09:06:07 EDT 2016

On 3/30/2016 6:21 AM, BartC wrote:
> On 30/03/2016 11:07, Sven R. Kunze wrote:

>>> As someone who writes English text and code using speech recognition,
>>> I can assure you that Python is not English. :-)
>>
>> :D Interesting. Never thought of how Python sounds when spoken.
>
> Among other things, it becomes case insensitive...

Which makes complying with Pep 8 quite the bitch. Fortunately, I have a
workaround (togglename) which lets me dictate what I need to say and
preserve the spoken to code for mapping for later translation. (I.e.
this thing is that thing mapping).

I need a co-conspirator with better hands than mine to get through the
next stage which is some form of an AST smart editor that operates on
larger chunks such as idioms or snippets in a speech friendly way.
Ideally I'd like to see a bidirectional transform between the spoken
form and a code form so that you can edit the spoken form and regenerate
the code.

Just one example of what I am thinking of is when you say the string
name of a previously defined class instance, you get a dialogue of all
available methods and string names. When you are at the point of
speaking the argument list, it gives you an abstract form of the
argument list that is filled in with a minimal set of speech commands.
I'm too lazy to create the full description right now what if anybody
wants to know more, ask and I'll fill in the blanks.

It's important to remember though that using simple or accelerated
methods for creating code is the easy part of the problem. It's editing
existing code that is hard because you've lost a lot of the information
necessary for speech user interface. This is where I think an AST based
editor will come in quite handy. So far, I haven't found any.