[stdlib-sig] Can imaplib be improved?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:55:57 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016, at 14:45, Grant Edwards wrote:
> I think giving up on backwards compatiblity and starting from scratch
> is the best idea.
>
> I like imaplib2
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/imaplib2
> https://github.com/bcoe/imaplib2
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/imaplib2/
>
> imapclient is pretty nice to work with:
>
>  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/IMAPClient
>  https://bitbucket.org/mjs0/imapclient
>  http://freshfoo.com/presentations/imapclient-intro/#/
>
> Perhaps it (or something like it) could be added to the std library
> alongside the current imaplib.

I couldn't get imapclient to install; I got some kind of error (I can't
remember, and can't reproduce now because it "thinks" it was successful)
from pip installing some crypto dependency, and a runtime error not
finding a SSLContext class. I haven't tried imaplib2 yet; by the time I
discovered it my scripts were already mature enough that I just finished
with what I had.