List of Functions

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Tue Mar 29 02:52:42 EDT 2016

Am 29.03.16 um 08:21 schrieb Rustom Mody:
> Dijkstra liked to point out that CS was backward in America compared to Europe
> because in Europe they used 'store' but Americans used anthropomorphism like memory
>
> Now given that store can mean -- among other things --
> - room where I dump stuff
> - shop where I buy bread and eggs
> - etc
> why is Dijkstra's preferred use actually any better?

The Oxford dictionary lists "store" for "shop" as "chiefly North American"

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/store

Maybe Dijkstra was speaking from his native Dutch perspective? I don't
know in Dutch, but at least in German we use "Speicher", which means
"store room" - either a closet or room, typically under the roof, where
you store things for later use, or a municipal facility to store, e.g.
water in big amounts, or the big buildings at harbours used to store
goods, but never a shop.

A room where you store things for later use is a quite good description
for computer memory, isn't it?

	Christian