Undefined behaviour in C [was Re: The Cost of Dynamism]

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Mar 27 17:55:52 EDT 2016

On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 4:19:12 PM UTC-4, BartC wrote:
> On 27/03/2016 18:19, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 12:58:23 PM UTC-4, BartC wrote:
>
> >> There would be a list of expression terms that can also form independent
> >> statements. Not knowing Python, the list would comprise function calls
> >> (ie. the function call is top node in the AST of the expression), and
> >> docstrings.
> >
> > It's a little frustrating to discuss language design when you claim not to
> > know Python.  Perhaps you could devote some off-list time to learning it? :)
>
> Since the language is presumably available to anyone including
> non-experts, why shouldn't someone who is only going to use a subset,
> have an opinion on a troublesome part of the language?

It will be a partly-informed opinion.  If you are OK with that, I guess
I will have to be also.

> For a simple language, there appear to be quite a few esoteric uses
> being thought up for that feature!

Yes, it's impressive the things a simple design can accomplish.

In the end, I'm not sure what the goal of this discussion is.  We've
discussed something you don't like about Python.  We've explained as best
we can why the language is the way it is.  You still think it's a
deficiency.  What now?

--Ned.