[OT'ish] Is there a list as good as this for Javascript

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Sat Mar 26 13:58:36 EDT 2016

Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 24/03/2016 20:53, cl at isbd.net wrote:
>> I use Python wherever I can and find this list (as a usenet group via
>> gmane) an invaluable help at times.
>>
>> Occasionally I have to make forays into Javascript, can anyone
>> recommend a place similar to this list where Javascript questions can
>> be asked?  The trouble is that there are very many usenet Javascript
>> lists and it's difficult to guess which one[es] might be good.
>
> Perhaps this http://transcrypt.org/ is the way to go? :)

Unfortunately, no.  It needs attention from an expert in the targeted field.

To begin with, the “JavaScript” version (actually, only an ECMAScript
*2015*-compliant version) of the original Python code considers a "class" as
sealed (properties being only accessor properties with a getter), when in
Python that is not the case:

class C:
    def foo (self):
        pass

o = C()
C.foo = lambda self, bar: print(bar)

# prints "baz"
o.foo("baz")

Further, to set up multiple inheritance in a conforming implementation of
ECMAScript, one must not only set up the instance properties as by the
constructor of a type, but also the *prototype* chain.  In fact, a Proxy
instance would be required to really set up the *emulation* of such a
branching prototype chain for any ECMAScript object.

This list of implementation mistakes is not exhaustive, but ECMAScript
implementations are beyond the scope of this newsgroup/mailing list.

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2