Key Binding Problem

Wildman best_lay at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 00:37:54 EDT 2016

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 21:43:26 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 11:19:52 -0500, Wildman via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> declaimed the following:
>

>>I believe I understand.  Thanks.  If you can't tell, I'm new to
>>Python so the learning process is on-going.
>
> 	And you decided to throw in a GUI framework at the same time...

Coming from VB6, it seemed the natural thing to do.

> 	I've only written one program using Tkinter (and I stuck the old PMW
> library on top of that) -- it was quite horrid of a program. I have used
> the file-requester in a few others though, but that is a stand-alone
> widget/dialog.

I am a hobby programmer so I do this just for the pleasure of
creating something.  I started with 16bit assembly back in the
day and from there went to various flavors of BASIC including
PowerBASIC and Visual Basic.  Never made the transition to .net.
Didn't see a need.  I have yet to find anything that I can't do
with Classic VB6 that I want to do.

> 	My only other GUI experience is a rudimentary "Jeopardy" framework
> (called Jeparody -- did not include timers and player buttons) done on a
> whim for an investment mailing list, using VB6... And a significant
> application in which I emulated the display features of a Ramtek 9300
> graphics engine using DECWindows with Graphical Kernel System on top (and
> no "GUI Builder" -- just a hand-written GUI description file).
>
> 	I'd recommend going through the Python Tutorial, study the standard
> types in the Library manual, and maybe skim through the Python Reference...
> THEN maybe consider a GUI...

Good advice.  I have found some good tuts on Youtube for Python
and Tk.  That gave me a good start.  And I have several websites
bookmarked for other tutorials and references.  Plus that several
knowledgeable people right here who are willing to help.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors,