netrc and password containing whitespace

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Thu Mar 24 11:03:07 EDT 2016

Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> writes:

> The implementation seems very basic... I ran into trouble trying to
> store entries with no password (with the idea in mind of having my
> program prompt for the password), though, out of curiosity, does ftp
> handle your quoted passwords?

Uhm, dunno :-) I think it's been more than two decades since my last use of
FTP...

I use it as a generic auths pocket, mainly for emails and IRC. I found the
glitch adding an entry for a new account in my offlineimap configuration.

> Also, I'm surprised that you're using .netrc for emacs - in my
> experience the file emacs uses is called .authinfo.

AFAICT, that's just the default file name stored in netrc-file, the format is
really the same.

Using .netrc has the advantage that other programs can use
it, like the cited offlineimap. Aside that, the functionality is exposed in
Emacs as netrc-xxx, and comes from net/netrc.el.

Cfr. also https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusAuthinfo.

ciao, lele.
lele at metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.