Key Binding Problem

Wildman best_lay at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 22:17:57 EDT 2016

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 20:34:08 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 10:58:09 -0500, Wildman via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> declaimed the following:
>
>>On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 02:47:47 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>
>>>      def load_image(self, _):
>>>          # load image file
>>>
>>> You must pass the bound method, as you did, and not the function itself
>>> (which has two parameters).
>>
>>I meant to ask a followup question in my previous post but
>>it slipped my mind.
>>
>>What is the best thing to do...
>>Define all procedures this way, (self. event)?
>
> 	Not "." but "," -- separate arguments

That was a typo.  My fingers have dyslexia.

> 	Anything that is a method in a class object will tend to receive the
> object itself as the first argument (commonly called "self" in Python, "me"
> in Visual BASIC, "this" in C++). Tk callback functions (I think you were
> using Tkinter) likely pass the event data (that is, what triggered the
> callback -- a key-in callback passes information about the key that was
> pressed).
>
>>Define all event handlers this way?
>
> 	If they are methods of a Tk class, then likely they need this format...
> But for classes you create yourself, it depends on how you intend to invoke
> them.

Thanks for the info.

>>Define only the event handlers that will be called from
>>elsewhere in the code, as in this case?
>
> 	Uhm... If an event handler is never invoked, why write it?

I was referring to procedures called by a button click as
opposed to a procedure calledd from elsewhere in the code.
I guess there is no difference.  I assume that is what you
meant.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!