crash while using PyCharm / Python3

Big Bad Bob BigBadBob-at-mrp3-dot-com at testing.local
Tue Mar 22 12:39:37 EDT 2016

On 03/21/16 17:23, Adam so wittily quipped:
> "Adam" <adam at no_thanks.com> wrote in message
> news:ncprqb$tl9$1 at news.albasani.net...
>>
>> "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:ncpjj0$7ug$1 at dont-email.me...
>>>
>>> Yes you can. Did it for a borked install of the nVidia driver. reference
>>> this:
>>>
>>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/VideoDriverDetection#Problem:_Need_to_purge_-fglrx>
>>
>> Thanks, even after doing the following...
>>
>> Problem: Need to purge -fglrx
>>
>> Typically, the following manual commands will properly uninstall -fglrx:
>>
>>  $ sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx*
>>  $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri
>> xserver-xorg-core
>>  $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>>
>> I still get that dreaded "The system is running in low-graphics mode"
>> error.
>> And, recovery mode failsafeX and Ctrl+Alt+F1 hangs with the following...
>>
>>    <more of the same>
>> Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
>> Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
>> Initializing built-in extension RECORD
>> Initializing built-in extension DPMS
>> Initializing built-in extension Present
>> Initializing built-in extension DRI3
>> Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
>> Initializing built-in extension XVideo
>> Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
>> Initializing built-in extension SELinux
>> Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
>> Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
>> Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
>> Initializing built-in extension DRI2
>> <hangs here>
>>

> After trying the following...
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/577093/how-to-install-gnome-desktop
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
>

> http://tipsonubuntu.com/2014/06/06/change-display-manager-ubuntu-14-04/
>
> $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
>
> I am now able to login.  But,
> not sure what happened to the "lightdm" display manager.
> I am now using "gdm" display manager.

if you're able to boot up by changing things *like* the display manager,
you might want to take a look at the X11 configuration directly.  Adding
"more cruft" to your system (i.e. gdm) isn't necessarily going to 'fix'
a problem that's related to the X11 configuration.

[it's one reason why I generally prefer to boot to command line rather
than into a GUI for a typical linux install]

as an example, you could save your xorg.conf file
  /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and generate a new one, using 'xorg -configure' (as root).

I'm guessing that when you installed the 'PyCharm' package, "some other
dependent package" did something undesirable to your xorg.conf file.

That would MOST CERTAINLY cause a hang during the desktop startup.

it might also be fixable by re-configuring your installed packages,
rather than a full-blown re-install from scratch.

dpkg-reconfigure -a

[the man page warns "it may take a long time" - yeah, probably will]

Keep in mind that adding gdm afterwards *might* have done the
'reconfigure' on the problem package(s) already.  So adding 'gdm'
instead of whatever login manager you were using before [along with all
of its dependent packages] would most likely have forced "the problem
package" to re-configure.  That very well might have "fixed" the problem
on its own.  So my suggestion here would be to remove this 'new' package
and see if the problem comes back.  Most likely it won't.