The Cost of Dynamism (was Re: Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?)

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 09:46:55 EDT 2016

On 2016-03-22, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> The first step in any program is to write it in the very simplest way
> possible. That usually means ignoring all error handling. And yes,
> this is true in EVERY language - C, PHP, Pike, DeScribe Macro
> Language, you name it.

I'm afraid I have to say I think this is absolutely terrible advice.
If you write code in a language that does not have exceptions (e.g. C)
and get it working with no error handling, the chances are
approximately 100% that it will stay that way and be shipped without
error handling, until that lack causes someone a major problem.