creating multiple python Django projects in Windows environment

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:07:38 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM, jogaserbia
<ivanjankovic777777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 3:16:53 AM UTC-4, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 6:04 AM, jogaserbia wrote:
>> > Can someone please give me ideas on what I should read about (or pay someone to do) that would enable me to create a basis on which multiple Python (web and non-web) applications can be access by staff in a windows environment.
>> >

>> You basically have two choices:
>>
>> 1) Run the Python app on some central server, and have your staff
>> access it using something they already have (eg a web server)
>>
>> 2) Have them all install Python and run it locally.
>>
>> Your call. :)
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> To be clear I understand, do I create a Django project and create separate Django apps for each different application I want to build?
>
> That way, I create a main website page (Django in the back), and have everyone click through to the application needed.

Hmm, that depends how you want to structure things. If the different
applications are conceptually different, you can keep them completely
separate by making them separate Django projects; that would give you
the flexibility to put them onto independent URLs, post the source
code to one of them on GitHub and the source to the other on
SourceForge, etc, etc, etc. Alternatively, you can simply have a
single Django application, and then namespace everything using
directories, so people would access http://blah.blah/app1/whatever and
http://blah.blah/app2/whatever to choose what they're doing.

> Would I look into using vagrant and virtualbox to create an environment that would then be loaded onto my linux (home development) server and my windows (office) production server to ensure they are the same?

You shouldn't need to, but I would strongly recommend having a
"Staging" server which is as similar as possible to your production
server. It's all too easy to accidentally do something in a
Windows-specific or Linux-specific way if you don't test. (Note that
"Staging" could be actually on the same hardware as "Production", if
you don't have spare funds for a duplicate. Keep your modules separate
using venv, and access them on different URLs; just have some place
where you can quickly check your code under a production-like
environment prior to actually bringing everything down due to a
one-character bug.)

ChrisA