crash while using PyCharm / Python3

Adam adam at no_thanks.com
Mon Mar 21 14:36:23 EDT 2016

"Dirk T. Verbeek" <dverbeek at xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:56f03080$0$5924$e4fe514c at news.xs4all.nl...
> Op 21-03-16 om 17:51 schreef Adam:
>> "Adam" <adam at no_thanks.com> wrote in message
>> news:ncikss$tks$1 at news.albasani.net...
>>>
>>> Host OS:    Ubuntu Desktop 14.04 LTS / Unity
>>>
>>> System crashed while using PyCharm / Python3.
>>> Booting takes forever and stuck at the purple screen with
>>> the Ubuntu logo and the five dots cycling.
>>> How to fix?
>>>

>> So, I tried Ubuntu repair methods suggested here...
>>
>> How to Fix an Ubuntu System When It Won't Boot
>> http://www.howtogeek.com/196740/how-to-fix-an-ubuntu-system-when-it-wont-boot/
>> GRUB Boot Loader is accessible but using the recovery mode did not help.
>> It hangs with "Loading extension GLX" but I forget which command I used.
>>
>> Then, I tried to...
>>
>> Reinstall Ubuntu While Keeping Files and Programs
>>
>> but, I am instead given the following options...
>> This computer currently has Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS on it.  What would you
>> like
>> to do?
>>
>> - Erase Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS and reinstall
>>      Warning: This will delete all your Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS programs,
>> documents, photos...
>> - Install Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS alongside Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
>>      Documents, music, and other personal files will be kept.  You can
>> choose
>> which operating system...
>> - Erase disk and install Ubuntu
>> - Something else
>>
>> Perhaps, "Install Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS alongside Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS" is the
>> safest ?
>>

> It's easy to do a reinstall without wiping documents and application
> configurations/settings PROVIDING you have a separate / (root) and /home
> partition.
>
> During partition you select Manual partitioning and assign the existing
> partitions being VERY careful to NOT format the existing /home.
>
> But / where the OS and all applications reside will need to be
> formatted/deleted/overwritten.

I guess I can do something like...

$ dpkg --get-selections \*    |    awk '{print $1}'    >    ~/package_list
$ cat ~/package_list    |    sudo xargs -l1 aptitude reinstall

to reinstall packages that were installed after installing Ubuntu.

There ought to be a way to just reinstall the graphics subsystem rather than
an all-or-none installation approach.