The Cost of Dynamism (was Re: Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Mar 21 09:48:49 EDT 2016

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:59 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 11:34 PM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> For Python I would have used a table of 0..255 functions, indexed by the
>> ord() code of each character. So all 52 letter codes map to the same
>> name-handling function. (No Dict is needed at this point.)
>>

> Once again, you forget that there are not 256 characters - there are
> 1114112. (Give or take.)

Pardon me, do I understand you correctly? You're saying that the C parser is
Unicode-aware and allows you to use Unicode in C source code? Because
Bart's test is for a (simplified?) C tokeniser, and expecting his tokeniser
to support character sets that C does not would be, well, Not Cricket, my
good chap.

--
Steven