The Cost of Dynamism (was Re: Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?)

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Mon Mar 21 08:08:22 EDT 2016

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 9:15:32 PM UTC-4, BartC wrote:

> A tokeniser along those lines in Python, with most of the bits filled
> in, is here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/dtM8WnFZ

Bart, we get it: you don't like the trade-offs that Python has made.
You want Python to be faster, but it can't be because of dynamic features
that you don't think are worthwhile.  That's fine, you don't have to
use or like Python.

You want Python to have features other languages have, like a switch
statement. It doesn't have it, sorry. Not all languages have the same
features. If they did, we'd only have one language.

Again: you don't have to like Python.  But going on and on here about
your vision of how Python could change is not productive.  We aren't
going to agree with you that Python's dynamic nature is a bad trade-off,
and even if we did, Python is not going to change in the way that you
want.

> I started off trying to write it in a more efficient way that would suit
> Python better, but quickly tired of that. I should be able to express
> the code how I want.

You basically said, "I don't want to use Python the way it was designed
to be used." It's no wonder you are not pleased with the results.

You can choose any language you want.  You can even implement your own
language, as you have.

You don't like Python.  Can we leave it at that?

--Ned.