Why do you use python?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Mar 21 01:33:16 EDT 2016

> True. I'm not saying you should never use more than one tool, but that
> every additional tool used costs exponentially in complexity. And
> people who claim they should use any tool whatsoever usually use "I
> know this tool" as the most important criterion in the decision -
> which results in the worst kind of hodge-podge.

There is also an important distinction to draw on how much effect one's
choice of tool will impact others working on the same code base, either
contemporaneously or in the future.

If I choose to use Vim, and passionately defend that decision, this
choice of tool is unlikely to have much impact on my workmates or future
programmers.

Whereas if I pull the entire code base into a Subversion repository,
that choice will have a major impact on what others must to do
collaborate and work on the code base.

The more impact a choice of tool will have on others working on that
same code base, the less weight should be given to “what tool makes me
personally happy” and the more weight needs to be given to “what will
help people work together better on this code base”.

--
 \       “Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not |
  `\            entitled to their own facts.” —US Senator Pat Moynihan |