Why do you use python?

rharding64 at gmail.com rharding64 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 23:59:38 EDT 2016

On Saturday, October 31, 2009 at 3:22:20 AM UTC-6, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> sk wrote:
> > What would be your answer if this question is asked to you in an
> > interview?
> >
> > a modified version might be:
> > "Where would you use python over C/C++/Java?"
> >
> > (because my resume says I know C/C++/Java)?
>
> I would say where I can, where 'can' is depending on the problem,
> already implementations and requirements.
>
> On the other hand, when I go to a restaurant I usually don't tell the
> chef which brand of knives he has to prepare my meal with, even though I
> prefer Globals knives for my own use.
>
> --
> MPH
> http://blog.dcuktec.com
> 'If consumed, best digested with added seasoning to own preference.'

here's what i tell employers and potential employers for next gig;

i go to the job like the plumber; i have a toolbox full of hardware and software of my design that i use to solve client problems.  what i dislike is the fact that some employers ONLY want to use python and nothing else.  while i can appreciate the point that they are trying to get across, the fact is that solving real world problems sometimes takes other languages and approaches that cannot be easily done or not done at all in python.

instead, to be efficient, it is best to combine tools to solve problems that contain complexities where there is nothing available off the shelve that does the job. c# is free, free VS studio, i can run ironpython there, i can do python there, and talk to linux boxes with python, i can run c# on linux boxes using mono(did that back in 2004 and thereafter for a while).  i can run python on my beaglebone black inside of snappy ubuntu, ect.

so i ask those employers why not use what is available to solve problems instead of limiting yourself to just one???