How to waste computer memory?

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Thu Mar 17 17:26:29 EDT 2016

On 17/03/2016 21:11, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>
>> Like every language *including* English. You can pretend that ASCII is
>> enough, but you do lose some information.
>
> Hold it, I'll quickly update my résumé before we resume the
> conversation. What does this exposé expose? At least it gives a coup de
> grâce to ASCII with grace.

'ANSI' (Windows code page 1252), will do most of what ASCII doesn't, as
far as western Europe (and the US, Canada, Australia and probably the
rest of the Americas) is concerned. Including euro and pound (€,£)
currency symbols.

ANSI could have been equivalent to the first 256 Unicode code points,
rather than just 128, if Unicode hadn't squandered codes 128 to 159 on
even more control codes, when it's difficult to see a use for most of
the 32 that ASCII already reserves.

--
Bartc