WP-A: A New URL Shortener

Daniel Wilcox dmw at yubasolutions.com
Wed Mar 16 00:28:13 EDT 2016

I dare say I'm with Rick on this point -- keep it up, go learn stuff, put
things together and see how they break -- I think it's the best way to get
feel for how things fit together and, somewhat inevitably, fall over (when
the conditions they were designed in no longer apply).

*quick glance at source*
The raw SQL scares me a bit, there is a lot of escaping that you could add
to protect from sql injections (at least for mysql, sqlite I'm not sure).
And since you want to run this on the Internet I highly recommend putting a
mariadb/mysql database behind it.  Glancing over the Flash documentation
they seem to suggest SQLAlchemy which sounds like a reasonable choice for
an ORM.

An neat idea I've seen before that was neat was a sematic shorten-er where
you could specify the shortened URL to make it easy to remember and
reference.  A lot of security, aka input sanitation, involved but might be
fun -- and who knows it could spark a land rush to claim useful short URLs
like wp-a.co/flask-tips. :)

Speak up if you need any pointers!

Daniel